We are inviting applications from people interested in becoming ‘Cochrane UK Consumer Champions’.
What is the aim of the role?
The aim of this role is to develop links with wider groups and networks of potential Cochrane consumers. Cochrane uses the term consumers to represent patients, carers and family members with first-hand, lived experience of a healthcare condition.
The Cochrane UK Consumer Champion role may involve:
- promoting consumer involvement within Cochrane and Cochrane UK;
- providing a connection between Cochrane and consumers;
- providing consumer perspectives in Cochrane's work (e.g. at events, writing blogs);
- raising awareness of Cochrane’s work within the wider community;
- advocating for wider use of Cochrane's work within consumer groups and organisations.
What will the role involve?
The role will be very flexible. You will be able to focus on tasks that you have a particular interest in to ensure you can use your expertise to support the aims of the initiative. Some of the tasks that may be involved are:
- promoting opportunities for consumers to get involved in Cochrane’s work;
- supporting consumers in getting involved in Cochrane’s work (e.g. identifying relevant resources and contacts within the organisation);
- advising Cochrane on consumer needs and priorities within their healthcare community;
- supporting Cochrane with the dissemination of Cochrane work relevant to consumer communities;
- providing support to Cochrane in finding relevant consumers to help support their work.
You are welcome to apply if you:
- have lived experience as a patient or family member/carer for a patient;
- are based in the UK;
- have a key interest in being, or becoming, a consumer advocate;
- are able to commit at least 4 hours a month to the role (maximum of 16 hours per month) for 2 years;
- have no conflicts of interest that would prevent participation in the role.
What will I receive for taking part?
Cochrane UK Consumer Champions will be given access to Cochrane resources. Cochrane UK will also provide remuneration for your involvement (full-day rate of £150 and half-day rate of £75) and cover reasonable expenses when attending a relevant meeting or event.
How to apply
To apply, please complete the online application form by Wednesday 6th October.
If you have any questions, please contact: Marta Santos, Programme Support Officer at Cochrane UK: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Artwork at the top of this article is by Tom Bailey)