RA2 is usually run on the day following RA1, so authors can choose to take the two days in succession or as stand-alone courses. This day is designed to help authors further develop their protocol, introducing them to searching for studies, study selection and data collection procedures, risk of bias, and analysis topics which require planning at the protocol stage. The day contains activities which enable authors to reflect on their own protocol and time to work in RevMan.
Should I attend?
This workshop is suitable if you:
- have attended workshop RA1, or have completed the Background and Objectives sections of your protocol
- want to write the Methods section of your protocol
- want to understand the basics of meta-analysis methods
What will be covered?
- Searching for eligible studies
- Choosing eligibility criteria
- Data collection and management
- Risk of bias
- Introduction to meta-analysis methods
- Introduction to heterogeneity
How is the workshop run?
This workshop comprises lectures and both individual and group practical exercises. Handouts of slides used in the lectures are provided.
What will I achieve?
By the end of the workshop, you should be able to:
- understand search methods and liaise with your Group’s Trials Search Coordinator to complete the search for your review
- design a data collection form and manage the data extraction process
- understand the rationale and basic methods of meta-analysis
- understand potential sources of clinical and methodological heterogeneity in your review